When most people say they’re taking an Uber, they’re probably referring to Uber X, the rideshare giant’s most basic car service. However, there are different levels of Uber car services that passengers can request, such as Uber XL, Uber Select, Uber Black, and Uber SUV. These categories involve specific sizes and types of vehicles, from economy cars to high-end SUVs to registered limousines. If you’re a rideshare driver, it’s good to know the best cars for Uber drivers to rent or own, especially if you want to drive for more than just UberX. Here is a list of Uber’s services as well as vehicle suggestions for each, based on factors like best gas mileage and best cars for ridesharing.
- Uber’s most economical rideshare service for passengers.
- Perfect for riders who don’t need luxury or extra cargo space for luggage.
- Seats 1-4 passengers (one in front, three in back).
- Average sized, good quality four-door economy cars are the norm for Uber X.
Drivers looking for the best car for Uber X should consider the following:
Toyota Camry Hybrid:
According to U.S. News and World Report, this is one of the best hybrid cars for Uber. Hybrids are great cars for rideshare drivers. Some get up to 50 mpg, and all drivers know that gas is a big expense. A 2018 model starts around $27,800, making this car a very affordable option. Rear seat legroom is a spacious 38 inches, which your passengers will appreciate.
This extremely popular compact car is an excellent Uber X choice. 2018 models start at an affordable $19,450. There’s a reason why you see hundreds of Civics on the road as you drive around. They get great gas mileage (36 highway/26 city) and are consistently ranked among the top compact cars in automotive critics regarding safety, interior, and performance.
Looking for one of the most fuel-efficient cars to drive for Uber X? Two words: Toyota Prius. You’ll experience 50 miles per gallon on the highway. Plus this super-popular hybrid comes with loads of passenger and cargo space, which also makes it perfect for Uber Eats driving. It’s an affordable hybrid as well, with a base price of around $24,000 for a 2018 model. The Prius is also well-made and reliable, meaning you’ll save thousands on costly repairs down the road.
- What is Uber XL?
- Uber XL is Uber’s level of service that exclusively uses plus-sized car models to seat up to 6 people.
- Perfect for airport rides due to the extra cargo space these vehicles provide.
- Uber XL is great for groups of people carpooling to and from a single destination like a sporting event, concert, or parts of town with lots of nightlife.
Drivers searching for the best car for Uber XL should consider the following:
Toyota Highlander SUV:
The Highlander crossover is considered to be a luxury-level SUV that fits 7 to 8 passengers comfortably. It has plenty of room for luggage and cargo and gets a decent 25 mpg on the highway. A certified pre-owned 2016 model should run you in the $25,000 range. This stylish plus-sized vehicle gets a 4.5 out of 5-star rating on Kelley Blue Book.
A sleek, stylish 7-passenger SUV crossover with 3 rows, plenty of horsepower, and more advanced electronics than you’d expect. You’ll like the 27 mpg highway fuel economy. Your passengers will love the quiet, smooth, and safe ride. A 2017 pre-owned model can be found for around $30k.
A pre-owned, high-quality minivan like the Honda Odyssey is another way to go for Uber XL. A 2014 model will get you all the quality features of a new Honda for around $21,000. Highway gas mileage close to 30 mpg makes the Odyssey an affordable choice as well, especially if you’re going to be doing a lot of airport runs. High safety and feature ratings from Kelley Blue Book make pre-owned Honda Odysseys excellent choices for Uber XL drivers.
- Uber Select is Uber’s luxury car service. Passengers choose to ride in cars that are nicer than the average Uber X car. Uber Select drivers also earn more than Uber X drivers for each ride they give.
- Since these vehicles are considered “luxury,” looking at certified pre-owned models to use for rideshare driving will get you a high-end automobile at an affordable price.
- Typical vehicles are higher-end, such as Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes.
- Perfect for business people who want to impress clients with a luxury ride or passengers used to luxury car style.
- Uber Select requires cars to be 2009 and newer, in very good condition showing no exterior damage, and with leather or faux leather seats.
- Drivers need consistently high ratings from passengers in order to drive for this level of Uber service.
Drivers searching for the best car for Uber Select should consider:
Acura’s four-door sedans, like the TSX, as well as its RDX and MDX, are powerful, stylish cars. They consistently receive high ratings for safety, performance, and passenger comfort. This spacious, mid-priced luxury vehicle ($43,000 new/$30,000 pre-owned) has all the bells and whistles that luxury car owners expect and enjoy. The V6 engine delivers both power and impressive gas mileage in the high 20s on the highway. A hybrid model is also available.
BMW 5 Series:
These mid-size luxury sedans will give your Uber Select passengers a truly luxurious riding experience. Trunk space is generous, engines are powerful and efficient, and the interior is highly rated for its quiet ride and comfort. A new model starts around $54,000 while a pre-owned BMW 528i can be priced in the mid-$30’s or lower. Gas mileage on the highway is an impressive 34 mpg.
With its 36 MPG highway fuel economy rating, the Volvo S60 is an excellent car choice for Uber Select drivers. It’s classy, comfortable, and has plenty of power. The 2019 Volvo S60 ranks in the top half of this luxury car category thanks to its upscale, comfortable interior, powerful 250+ horsepower engine, and fuel efficient, quiet ride. Highway mpg is in the mid-to high 30s. A 2019 will start around $35,800 while a certified pre-owned, like a 2016, can be had for under $30k.
Uber Black and Uber SUV
- These are the top of the line, highest priced Uber rideshare services offered.
- Only professional, commercially licensed drivers can drive for Uber Black or Uber SUV
- You’ll need a newer model (2014 or newer), high-end luxury sedan or SUV with leather interior.
- Basically, this is a limo rideshare service for passengers used to a certain level of professionalism and style. Uber Black drivers are among the highest earning rideshare drivers. Since only top luxury vehicles can be used for Black and SUV, looking at pre-owned vehicles would be a good idea if you want to rent or own.
- The vehicles must have pristine black interiors and exteriors.
Drivers looking for the best car for Uber Black or Uber SUV cars should consider:
Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan:
Sophistication on four wheels, the Mercedes-Benz E-Class midsize sedan should satisfy the luxury needs of any Uber Black passenger. The E-Class sedan features high-end leather seats as well as state-of-the-art engineering and safety features, ensuring your passengers a smooth, quiet, and relaxing ride. They’ll want to just sit back and enjoy the upscale ambiance. As a driver, you’ll enjoy the turbocharged engine and 30 mpg highway.
BMW Active Hybrid 7:
You can drive for Uber Black and still be green with this ultra-luxurious European hybrid sedan. Prices range from $25,000 to around $60,000 and up. Passengers will love the limo-like experience of this car thanks to its 10 speaker sound system and four-zone climate control. This sophisticated, powerful hybrid gets between 22 city and 30 highway mpg.
When you drop off your passenger in a gleaming, massive, all black Cadillac Escalade SUV, all eyes will be on them when they exit your car. Escalades are considered to be top of the line Uber Black/SUV vehicles, thanks to superb engineering and luxurious design. A pre-owned model will set you back close to $50k, but if you find a steady stream of Uber Black/SUV passengers, the investment will be totally worth it.
The convenient thing about Uber Eats is that Uber Eats delivery involves picking up and delivering food orders, not passengers. This means you don’t need a high tech, ultra-luxurious vehicle to do it. However, here are vehicle and driver requirements:
- You need to be at least 19 years old to be an Uber Eats driver.
- Your 2 or 4-door car must be newer than a 1998 model.
- Valid driver’s license and car insurance.
- In the U.S., you need at least one year of driving experience.
- You will need a clean driving record with no major violations dating back 7 years.
- Upon applying, you will be required to pass a background check and a safety screening, and upload a few required documents.
- You don’t need to be an Uber X driver to deliver for Uber Eats. Current Uber drivers already qualify to deliver for Uber Eats
As far as cars go, you’ll want a reliable vehicle that has an easy to clean interior, because let’s face it, spills happen. A basic 2 or 4 door sedan will do nicely. If you’re a driver searching for the best cars for Uber Eats, consider the following:
As discussed, Hondas are highly-rated, affordable fuel efficient cars with plenty of room and safety features. They also serve as great Uber X cars if you’re doing more than just Uber Eats.
This midsize sedan, starting around $21,600 for a 2018 base model, is a great Uber Eats/Uber X car. It’s known as one of the best affordable and fuel-efficient cars, thanks to its 27 city/36 highway gas mileage. It’s pretty much perfect for making food deliveries around town.
With a surprisingly luxurious interior and stylish exterior, the Sonata is a great everyday vehicle that can be perfect for Uber Eats drivers. Coming in at around $21,000 for a base model, this is an affordable, great looking car with lots of room for passengers as well as large takeout orders. Fuel economy is in the high 30s with hybrid versions experiencing over 40 mpg highway.
Renting through HyreCar:
More and more people are renting cars for rideshare driving instead of owning their own. Owning a car comes with a lot of hassles like monthly interest payments, years of repair and maintenance bills, and more. Renting can be much economical, and HyreCar has thousands of affordable, privately owned cars that you can rent for your ridesharing gig. Click here for more info on how to rent a car and get on the road with HyreCar.
- HyreCar offers vehicles for rent in all 50 states, with all kinds of makes and models for the different Uber services discussed in this article.
- Insurance is included with each rental.
- No long-term contracts.
- Choose a car and be behind the wheel in 24 hours.
Want to eventually own the car you’re renting while rideshare driving? If you’re in the New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania area, check out the rent-to-own program that HyreCar is offering through Sansone Jr’s Automotive Group. Rideshare drivers like you can contribute a portion of their rideshare income towards a down payment on the vehicle they’re renting. It’s a fast path to ownership.
Do what’s best for your budget when it comes to buying or renting a car for rideshare driving. There’s no need to drive a Maserati or a Porsche SUV if you’re planning on only doing Uber Eats deliveries or giving Uber X rides to folks who want a standard, clean, and comfortable passenger experience. Definitely look at pre-owned cars or rental solutions if you’re aiming for the luxury services of Uber. You’ll want to research the top fuel efficient cars as well. No matter what kind of vehicle you choose to drive, or what service level of Uber you wish to drive for, HyreCar is here to help get you behind the wheel. Happy Driving!