Whether you want to make some extra money for a holiday or a full-time income, the two big ridesharing companies in the USA both offer you the opportunity to do so by giving lifts to people in your part of the country whenever you have some time to spare. To see if you are likely to qualify to join either of these ridesharing schemes, check out the requirements below.
Uber Car Requirements
Note: If your car doesn’t meet these requirements you can always rent one from us!
To join Uber’s budget ridesharing scheme (Uber X), you need a car that meets their requirements in full. There is no comprehensive Uber cars list to which you can refer but if your vehicle meets the Uber X driver car requirements listed below, you are probably good to go:
- Vehicle Age – Year 2000 or newer. Uber year requirements vary from city to city. Year 2000 Uber car models are the oldest currently allowed but the threshold could be 2001, 2005, 2007 or even 2011, depending on where exactly you live.
- In-State Plates – No out-of-state allowed. You need to own a car that complies with state vehicle regulations; any car that has in-state plates will obviously be suitable in this respect.
- Current Registration – To make absolutely sure that the plates on your car are legitimate, Uber X car requirements state that your vehicle needs to be currently registered.
- Configuration – All Uber X car models must be a 4-door sedan and be able to seat 4 or more passengers comfortably.
All vehicles must pass the Uber driver car requirements test before they can be used. Examples of models that are approved Uber car types include the Chevrolet Impala, Dodge Nitro and Ford Escape. Cars that are not approved include the Ford Fiesta, Honda Insight and Lexus CT 200h. Any vehicle that is marked, was formerly used as a taxi or salvaged will not qualify, even if it is one of the approved Uber X car types. If your vehicle is one of the approved Uber XL car models, i.e. it meets the additional Uber XL car requirements, which include having room for 6 passengers, you could make more money. Uber XL year requirements are the same as for the X service.
If you’ve got an additional car that meets these requirements and you’re utilizing it much, I highly recommend listing it on our site.
Uber Driver Requirements
In order to qualify as a driver, you need to meet the Uber driving requirements. These are not particularly onerous but they are designed to exclude inexperienced or dangerous drivers from the pool. The basic Uber X driver requirements are as follows:
Age – 21 or over
Experience – 3 years or more
Driving Record – Clean
If you meet the above requirements, you will then need to pass a background check before you are approved.
Lyft Car Requirements
The Lyft driver car requirements are more specific than those for Uber but generally speaking, if you own a 4-door sedan in good condition, your vehicle is probably one of the approved Lyft car types. The following requirements are accurate as at the time of writing but may change in the future:
- Vehicle Age – 2003 or newer. As with Uber X year requirements, there are some exceptions: In Seattle, Portland, Washington D.C. or Minneapolis-S Paul, local government regulations mean that Lyft year requirements in these areas are stricter – no vehicles over 10 years’ old. In Pittsburgh the limit is 8 years.
- Licensing – Current registration, with in-state plates.
- Tires – The tires on your vehicle need to have sufficient tread. Lyft requires you to perform the Penny Test on each one and send photographic evidence before they will approve your car.
- Windows – You need to have functional windows on all doors and a windshield with no big cracks anywhere, and absolutely no cracks at all that may obscure the driver’s vision.
- Windshield Wipers – Front and rear wipers need to be in good working order.
- Seat Belts – All approved Lyft car models have at least 4 passenger seat belts (in addition to the driver’s seat belt) and all of them must be functioning properly in order for your car to pass muster.
- Front Seat Adjustment – The front seats in your vehicle need to move forwards and backwards as designed.
- Car Doors – Your vehicle must have four doors, all of which should open and close without issue – from both the outside and the inside. Your passengers must be able to lock and unlock their doors without assistance.
- Climate Control – Your vehicle’s heating and air-conditioning systems need to be functioning properly.
Makes and models Lyft has previously approved include the Toyota Tacoma, GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Sonic and Ford Expedition. Any car with less than four doors or that is not roadworthy will be disqualified. There is no official list of Lyft approved models, just as there is no Uber x cars list, so you will have to judge for yourself –using the criteria above – whether your vehicle is likely to be approved.
Lyft Driver Requirements
If you are fairly certain that your car will be approved, it’s time to take a look at your own credentials. The following is a summary of the Lyft driver requirements:
- Age – 21 or over.
- Experience – Must have held a current driving license for at least 1 year.
- Driving Record – You must have a clean record.
- Insurance – You need a valid insurance policy.
- Phone – You need to own a recent model smart phone
If you qualify for either or both of these ridesharing schemes, you could make a substantial amount of money driving your car on a part or full-time basis.